Fun times in the kitchen.
–no red pepper (that would have made a big difference)
-still awesome, daughter ate it, yay
Next time I will get my act together
THAI-STYLE FUSILLI WITH EGGPLANT AND SHIITAKE
- 6 ounces fusilli (long spiral spaghetti) (**made rice)
- 1 small eggplant (about 1/2 pound) (**used chinese eggplant)
- 1/4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms (***used portabello)
- 1 bunch scallions
- 6 vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
- (***used regular tomatoes)
- 1/4 fresh jalapeño chili
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves (***used thai basil)
- Fill a 4-quart kettle three-fourths full with salted water and bring to a boil for cooking fusilli.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes and transfer to a colander set over a bowl. Sprinkle eggplant lightly with salt and let drain 10 minutes. While eggplant is draining, discard stems from mushrooms and cut caps into 3/4-inch pieces. Cut scallions diagonally into thin slices. Quarter tomatoes and chop jalapeño including seeds (wear rubber gloves). Rinse eggplant and squeeze dry, discarding any liquid in bowl.
- Boil fusilli until al dente.
- While fusilli is boiling, in a large non-stick skillet cook gingerroot and garlic in oil over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add eggplant and mushrooms and sauté, stirring constantly, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add scallions and sauté, stirring, until eggplant is tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, tomatoes, jalapeño, basil, and salt and pepper to taste and cook just until heated through, about 30 seconds.
- Drain fusilli in a colander and in a bowl toss with sauce.
- UPDATE, I GOT NY ACT TOGETHER AND DID THE BASIC DISH OF EGGPLANT, PEPPERS, ONIONS, THAI BASIL AND GROUND BEEF. FAMILY ATE IT. SMILED FROM EAR TO EAR.