Who does not like grilled cheese!! I know that it can cure even the most ridiculous cravings.
The company that I work for has panini sandwiches on the menu. I had been there for 2 plus years before I decided to have one. I was el-cheapo. I could not bring myself to spend 10 bucks on a sandwich and even with a discount, almost 8 bucks.
So I recently had the mozzarella and tomato panini with a fresh basil. They pressed Ciabatta bread and the cheese melted, not to mention the 2 inch sandwich shrunk to .75 inches. Before it was put in the press, it was brushed with butter.
I was not even hungry like that but I ate the whole sandwich in one sitting. So to my task a hand, I will share with you, as per the Food Network Magazine, some grilled cheese sandwich ideas. It does require that you maybe hit a gourmet food store or walk around a few more isles in the supermarket.
Goat Cheese-Peppadew (No. 6)
Mix 1/2 cup cream cheese with 1/4 cup goat cheese and 8 chopped Peppadew peppers. Sandwich one-quarter of the mixture between 2 slices multigrain bread. Cook, flipping once, until golden. (Use the remaining cheese mixture for more sandwiches.)
Blue Cheese and Onion (No. 21)
Sandwich 2 slices marble rye bread with 1 slice each Muenster and soft blue cheese, some caramelized onions and another slice of Muenster. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
Pizza (No. 43)
Spread 2 slices Italian bread with marinara sauce and sandwich with 1 slice provolone, 2 slices pepperoni and 1 slice mozzarella. Cook in a mixture of butter and olive oil.
Brie and Marmalade (No. 48)
Spread 2 slices cinnamon-raisin bread with orange marmalade. Sandwich with 2 slices Brie (remove the rind) and cook, flipping once, until golden.
Date, Manchego and Prosciutto Grilled Cheese
Makes 2 sandwiches
Ingredients: 4 oz grated Aged Manchego cheese 1 T sour cream pinch salt 4 slices Country bread 4 slices Prosciutto or other cured ham (cough Serrano…Jamon Iberico…cough) 1-2 T buttter for skillet
For Date Spread: 1/4 cup dried, pitted dates
1/4 cup boiling water 1 t pomegranate molasses
1. Make the date spread: soak the dates in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Add the pomegranate molasses. Puree in blender/food processor. Set aside.
2. Combine grated Manchego with sour cream and pinch of salt. Set aside.
3. Take 2 slices bread. Spread date spread on one side of one piece of bread.
4. Layer one slice prosciutto on each slice of bread.
5. Place half of the cheese mixture on one slice of bread. Spread to edges.
6. Place other slice of bread with prosciutto on top.
7. Heat cast iron skillet over medium for a few minutes. Add half of the butter. Swirl to coat the pan. Place sandwich in pan and grill on both sides till as golden brown as you like it (some of us like things more burnt than others!).
8. Repeat steps 3-7 for second sandwich
Share with everyone your favorite grilled cheese sandwich and favorite grilled cheese moment.
It is getting cold outside and you may need to get your grilled cheese on!!!